Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Path Less Traveled

I explored a trail today through the Prosperity Oaks Natural Area. This small protected area is covered with Muscadine grape vines! I couldn't help myself. I took a small cutting to see if I could get it to root.  I did a Google search to find out how to make cuttings from Muscadine vines, and attempted to prepare the green-cutting for rooting.  I understand that if it roots it would take a year to grow large enough to bear the weight of fruit, so the best case scenario is that I could have grapes as early as fall 2012. Seems like a long time to wait for grapes, but I will feel very accomplished if I get the cutting to root. It is currently in my seed-starter greenhouse attempting to sit in some humidity.

I'll post as soon as I know if the rooting is happening or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment